Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A hollow under the arm at the shoulder.Also called axilla
- ‘Sometimes it can be found in your armpit, above your collarbone or down as far as your abdomen.’
- ‘The smell is made by the bacteria that feed on this sweat, which comes from the apocrine glands in the armpits and groin area.’
- ‘Hair that's not in your armpits or pubic area should be very fine, even if it's darker.’
- ‘There are higher concentrations of sweat glands in the armpits, hands, feet and forehead.’
- ‘Breast cancer treatment often involves the removal of lymph nodes in the armpit.’
- ‘The rash is greasy and affects the scalp, face, armpits, groin and skin below the breasts.’
- ‘Young children usually get the rash on their hands, feet, armpits, and sometimes their scalp and face.’
- ‘These may be scattered all over the skin, but occur most frequently in the armpits, groins and thighs.’
- ‘The symptoms of plague were swollen lymph nodes in the armpits and groin known as buboes, hence Bubonic Plague, and death followed within hours or a few days at the most.’
- ‘Some individuals also may have weakness in one arm or leg if tumors grow in nerves in the armpit or groin.’
- ‘Lymph nodes, containing lymphatic fluid, are part of the immune system, and when swollen they feel like round bumps on your neck, armpits and groin.’
- ‘Hyperhidrosis commonly affects the palms of the hands, the soles of the feet, or the armpits, but in a small number of patients it occurs over the whole body surface.’
- ‘If you notice a red spot close to the tick bite or develop a rash around your armpit, groin and thighs or a flu-like illness after being bitten, see your GP.’
- ‘Moles can be present in more obscure locations as well - including on your scalp, under your nails, in your armpits and around your genitals.’
- ‘Often the lymph glands in the armpit are removed at the same time.’
- ‘It is most commonly found in the armpits, groin, between the buttocks and under the breasts.’
- ‘Doctors ask about symptoms and examine for swelling of the liver, spleen, and lymph glands in the armpits, groin and neck.’
- ‘A child may also develop freckling in the folds of the skin of the armpit or groin or on other parts of the body where the skin creases.’
- ‘The most common sign of food allergy is inflamed, itchy skin, usually around a pet's feet, face, ears, armpits, and groin.’
- ‘Sometimes your eyelashes, eyebrows, armpit, pubic and other body hair also falls out.’
- 1.1North American informal A place regarded as extremely unpleasant.‘they call the region the armpit of America’
- ‘Your dismal little country in the armpit of Nowhere.’
- ‘Humorist Gene Weingarten visits Battle Mountain, Nevada and describes how the "Armpit of America" grows on him. [washingtonpost.com]’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.