One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A band worn around a person's upper arm to hold up a shirtsleeve or as a symbol.
- ‘Teachers at schools and colleges in Rawalpindi attended work wearing black armbands and organised rallies and marches inside their institutions.’
- ‘She wore anklets, armbands, earrings and a very complex dangly necklace.’
- ‘Her jewelry was also gold - an armband for her upper arm, a plain gold band for her middle finger, a stringy anklet with small bells, and a pair of long, chandelier earrings.’
- ‘After the United States entered World War I, American correspondents covering it were issued military uniforms with green armbands.’
- ‘Most of them did not have any uniforms, so they were given red armbands that identified them as ‘law-and-order’ officers.’
- ‘Pedestrians were reminded to wear bright highly visible clothing, reflective armbands, sam-brown belts or jackets and to face on-coming traffic when out walking.’
- ‘Here and there the road has collapsed into a hole where the waters washed away the foundations, and the army is out in force on the streets, wearing fluorescent jackets and armbands saying ‘police’.’
- ‘When walking to school small children should not cross roads alone and when on country roads they should wear reflective armbands and bright clothing.’
- ‘Prince Harry caused worldwide revulsion when he was pictured wearing a Nazi costume and swastika armband at a fancy dress party.’
- ‘But he should get a much friendlier reception when he pulls on the England shirt and captain's armband again.’
- ‘While being coached, top athletes are encouraged to soak armbands and sweatbands in their favourite aftershave or perfume.’
- ‘To show their support people are asked to wear a white band, either an armband, wristband or headband, during the concerts.’
- ‘They wore colourful cotton dressed, woven grass armbands and anklets, and red palm bands in their hair.’
- ‘Jackson, who appeared at the Santa Maria hearing wearing a black suit, a red armband and sunglasses, faces a total of 10 charges, in what has been dubbed the trial of the decade.’
- ‘Winter is fast creeping in, so pedestrians and cyclists must wear armbands or reflective clothing to be safe and be seen when using the public road at night.’
- ‘If you decide to get an armband tattoo, opt for tribal or Celtic styles.’
- ‘Sometimes dancers use wooden shields and spears and wear head-bands and armbands made of beads.’
- ‘On the final whistle he had already ripped the captain's armband from his shirt.’
- ‘The organizers of the march were easy to identify by their red t-shirts and gold armbands.’
- ‘All three members of the band appeared on stage dressed in white and wearing black armbands to mark the death of Johnny Cash, the king of country music, who had died earlier the same day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.