Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A trial of strength in which two people sit opposite each other with one elbow resting on a table, clasp each other's hands, and try to force each other's arm down onto the table.
- ‘There must be few people left who believe the outcome will be settled by arm-wrestling between twin researchers and their critics.’
- ‘The court may also decide the Constitutional rights at stake are too important to leave to military decision-making and political arm-wrestling.’
- ‘The delays in winning UN approval are likely to infuriate the hawks in Washington, although military planning for an invasion is steaming ahead even amid the diplomatic arm-wrestling.’
- ‘The team was also delighted to learn that a future world arm-wrestling championship would be held in Manchester.’
- ‘This threat has been around for some time now, as we have variously reported, but the response to date has been limited to diplomatic silence as arm-wrestling continues behind the scenes.’
- ‘Even though the rugby suffered, there was something epic about it - like that marathon arm-wrestling encounter in Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea.’
- ‘She wouldn't kill a fly, being all vegetarian and whatever, but I never beat her in a single match of arm-wrestling.’
- ‘A brother and sister arm-wrestling duo is proving a handful for opponents after walking away with a clutch of top titles.’
- ‘I can't win anything more than arm-wrestling against Seth, and Jake can't even do that.’
- ‘So expect a lot of arm-wrestling between now and the end of negotiations.’
- ‘The loser of the arm-wrestling had to throw the winner's shoe over my cousins' house.’
- ‘Why do you always let me beat you at arm-wrestling, and hug me like a wild bear?’
- ‘High arms, jersey-tugging and arm-wrestling have turned football into a shambles.’
- ‘Grace stood up, grabbing her food; she made her way over to the gaggle of men that had gathered to watch the arm-wrestling.’
- ‘Strength, power and dignity - these are the holy trinity of arm-wrestling and the greatest of these is strength.’
- ‘Girls grappled in arm-wrestling matches as others traded shy or swaggering kisses.’
- ‘At one point, Santiago fell into a daydream about an arm-wrestling match he'd had as a young man.’
- ‘If you can beat me at arm-wrestling, then maybe you'll have a chance.’
- ‘Her graceful form, which bodybuilding audiences had not seen onstage since 1984, belied her arm-wrestling and powerlifting experiences.’
- ‘O'Neill's New York FBI team was at the center of bureaucratic arm-wrestling over who would head the 1998 investigation into the embassy bombings in East Africa.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.