One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The problem comes when you try to think algebraically, or arithmetically, about the Gauss problem.’
- ‘A hound whose speed increases arithmetically chases a hare whose speed also increases arithmetically, how far do they travel before the hound catches the hare?’
- ‘In short, the witnesses could do no more than explain arithmetically what had happened; they could not assist on the underlying reasoning nor were any documents available for scrutiny by them, by Railcare or the Court.’
- ‘But the resources necessary to sustain that increase could be multiplied only arithmetically, adding only a fixed amount every year.’
- ‘Malthus suggested that the world's population, growing at a geometric rate, was increasing at a much faster rate than the world's food production, which only increased arithmetically.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.