The average of a set of numerical values, calculated by adding them together and dividing by the number of terms in the set.
- ‘The median value is regarded as the average, because rare extreme morphologies influence the arithmetic mean.’
- ‘The quantity commonly referred to as ‘the’ mean of a set of values is the arithmetic mean… also called the average.’
- ‘The mean, or more properly the arithmetic mean, is the simple average.’
- ‘It is easy to see that the medial and the binomial are closely related to the geometric mean and the arithmetic mean respectively.’
- ‘The geometric mean is a better estimate than the arithmetic mean of the central values, as it is less influenced by episodic high values not representative of the mean background.’
- ‘Consequently, means presented are geometric means and not arithmetic means.’
- ‘These life table data provided the basis for calculating a selection coefficient, which we did separately for each gender, and then we used the arithmetic mean to approximate the population-wide selection coefficient.’
- ‘An estimate of this total cost is obtained from data in a trial by multiplying the arithmetic mean cost in a particular treatment group by the total number of patients to be treated.’
- ‘Geometric means give relatively greater weight to smaller values than arithmetic means and are therefore a conservative measure of average sample size.’
- ‘Medians were also calculated because they are less affected than arithmetic means by the extreme values often encountered in skewed distributions of dietary variables.’
- ‘His dissertation investigates analytic functions and summation procedures by arithmetic means.’
- ‘He worked on the Theory of Errors and aimed to prove that the arithmetic mean was better than a single observation.’
- ‘The average may either be calculated using an arithmetic mean or a geometric mean.’
- ‘It is the unweighted arithmetic mean of the 15 percentages achieved by the individual member states.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.