A long, accompanied song for a solo voice, typically one in an opera or oratorio.
tune, melody, song, theme, strain, refrain, piece, ariaView synonyms
- ‘Songs, arias, and operatic scenes are mixed together, and that works well too.’
- ‘The concert will include many opera favourites including arias from Bizet, Puccini and Dvorak.’
- ‘The first two cantatas consist of two arias, each preceded by a recitative.’
- ‘Only Bartoli could have made best-selling albums out of obscure arias by Scarlatti, Vivaldi and Gluck.’
- ‘Two seasons ago she gave a thrilling concert of Verdi arias for the Concert Association.’
Early 18th century: from Italian, from Latin aer air.