One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1usually as modifier A pattern composed of diamonds of various colors on a plain background, used in knitted garments such as sweaters and socks.
- ‘He was the golf captain and wore these ugly argyle socks.’
- ‘For example, if you're wearing a black suit with a red tie and black shoes, you can wear black socks that feature a subtle red argyle pattern or polka dots.’
- ‘So, daring to be different, I created something a little different with the argyle theme in the background, nothing special or really technical, but more of a personal touch.’
- ‘It was his loud argyle socks that revealed the boyish sense of humour behind the staid visage.’
- ‘They are full of flannel-lined blue jeans and rugby shirts and leather moccasins and argyle socks.’
- ‘Jacqui promptly dragged me out, in nothing but a pair of argyle socks, and conferred with Rusco for a few minutes.’
- ‘With this season's clear preppy inspiration - from argyle sweaters to sweater vests - it's no surprise that backpacks are one of the coolest and most practical items to hit the streets.’
- ‘I went back up to my room and pulled on a pair of gray and black argyle socks.’
- ‘You can wear your new argyle sweater over a plaid or striped shirt - with or without a tie - and with your favorite pair of jeans, or even over your favorite turtleneck paired with flat-front pants for a dressier look.’
- ‘There are occasional hits, such as hot-pink coats, cropped corduroys, and the retro argyle look.’
- ‘Nebel is 49, with a bushy mustache, gray argyle socks, and rumpled black jeans.’
- ‘She wore an oversized military coat; a brightly-colored knit argyle skirt which featured an inappropriate slit; black tights; and black doc martens, untied, so that the tongues of the shoes bent over lazily.’
- ‘He enters the room in an argyle sweater and jeans.’
- ‘From the mock-neck sweaters, crewnecks, cardigans, and sweater vests, argyle sweaters are further proof that it's cool to look like you're going to school.’
- ‘The one he'd opened had been a pair of blue argyle socks, which he'd asked for.’
- ‘She has a problem with people who don't have perfectly coifed hair and wear argyle socks.’
- ‘It features a subtle red and gray argyle motif on the right sleeve.’
- ‘Uriah Moss was so nervous as he walked to the President's room, dressed in a fresh white shirt and argyle sweater vest and jeans, hair done… the freshman thought of this on the same level as a date.’
- ‘It's a lot better gift than giving out a Santa tie or argyle socks again.’
- ‘One pattern that looks great with an argyle top is pinstriped pants - again, just make sure the colors are in sync.’
- 1.1 A sock with an argyle pattern.
- ‘My mom dropped the knee-high argyles, and picked up some plain, gray ribbed socks.’
- ‘The only socks I darned after I was an adult were some favorite argyles that were cherished by the owner.’
- ‘I once joked in print that I'd like to be able to Google my sock drawer for the missing half of my favorite argyles.’
- ‘However, Mr. Style really likes yellow socks or argyles.’
1940s: from Argyll, a family name and a former county of Scotland. The pattern is based on the tartan of the Argyll branch of the Campbell clan.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.