One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rug that covers only a part of a floor in a room.
- ‘A large sisal area rug eliminates pattern at the floor level.’
- ‘Treat your feet and soften cold, hard kitchen floors with a stylish area rug.’
- ‘The floor was covered by a burgundy brocade area rug.’
- ‘A green rocking chair here, a plaid sofa, an orange area rug, Japanese watercolors on the wall, it was really rather disorienting.’
- ‘An oval braided-rag area rug (that looked like it might be salvageable) covered much of the floor.’
- ‘The bentwood chair and area rug are focal points.’
- ‘The hand-knotted wool area rug in this great room highlights the bold design of New Wave, the most dominant collection of the Momeni line.’
- ‘I plan to set up a folding table and buy an inexpensive office chair and an area rug to cozy it up.’
- ‘If you are placing an area rug on top of a wall-to-wall carpet, don't make the mistake of thinking you can get away with something smaller just because you have so much carpet.’
- ‘The look of this room can be changed just by adding throw pillows and an area rug; the color and style you choose for the accessories will then dictate the look of the whole room.’
- ‘I painted the red tile floor taupe, and topped it with a sisal area rug.’
- ‘He's moved the couch and coffee table, and he's got the edge of the area rug, and he's pulling on it.’
- ‘His mom laughed softly, sitting next to her son on the area rug that covered part of the smooth stone floor.’
- ‘I still need to fix up the apartment a bit - new curtains, a plant or two, maybe an area rug, a stand for my stereo, some new living room furniture.’
- ‘There was an area rug in the middle of the wooden floor of the barn.’
- ‘There's no sense in getting an area rug to cover it all up, though.’
- ‘Add the coordinating bed skirt, throw pillows, drapes, and maybe even a coordinating area rug to complete the look.’
- ‘Can I put a natural/woven area rug on gray carpet?’
- ‘The area rug in the rear outdoor living room is actually brick inlay.’
- ‘She stopped, then slowly walked over to stand in the middle of the large, round room, looking down at the threadbare area rug.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.