Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who collects or is very fond of teddy bears.
- ‘As this hobby has grown in popularity over the past five years the paper has been there to report on the world of arctophiles.’
- ‘Don't forget to check out our bulletin board where you chat to and share your views with fellow arctophiles from all corners of the globe.’
- ‘Asquith's is the perfect place for peckish arctophiles, because downstairs from the tearooms is a charming teddy bear shop.’
- ‘Her distinctive bears are owned by arctophiles - bear lovers - worldwide and she exports 70% of her total output to the USA.’
- ‘A Teddy Bear awaited him on his arrival home - he is the youngest arctophile in the famous Port family.’
- ‘We have been serving the needs of arctophiles since 1996.’
- ‘As an arctophile (teddy bear collector), I find special interest in such things such as Steiff bears.’
- ‘Steiffie was added for my birthday in 1978, and that is when I truly became an arctophile, a serious collector of teddy bears.’
- ‘Pongo's Vintage Teddy Bears is run by Teddy Bear lovers for fellow arctophiles.’
- ‘The company is able to focus its specific target audience and caters to arctophiles and artists world-wide.’
- ‘The world of arctophiles - teddy bear collectors - is weird, wonderful and washable, writes Lisa Mitchell.’
- ‘With a usual limited edition number of between 10 and 300, popular bears and gollies may sell out very quickly, going to stay with arctophiles all over the world.’
- ‘Gillian intends to run bear making courses for interested arctophiles so as well as, or even instead of, purchasing a bear keen people may learn to make their own.’
- ‘Churchill and many other arctophiles - people who collect teddy bears - are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the furry toy worldwide.’
- ‘Koalas are often thought of as cuddly little teddy bears by most people, and stuffed koalas are collectors items to arctophiles.’
1970s: from Greek arktos bear + philos loving.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.