One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who collects or is very fond of teddy bears.
- ‘Her distinctive bears are owned by arctophiles - bear lovers - worldwide and she exports 70% of her total output to the USA.’
- ‘A Teddy Bear awaited him on his arrival home - he is the youngest arctophile in the famous Port family.’
- ‘Churchill and many other arctophiles - people who collect teddy bears - are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the furry toy worldwide.’
- ‘Gillian intends to run bear making courses for interested arctophiles so as well as, or even instead of, purchasing a bear keen people may learn to make their own.’
- ‘We have been serving the needs of arctophiles since 1996.’
- ‘The world of arctophiles - teddy bear collectors - is weird, wonderful and washable, writes Lisa Mitchell.’
- ‘Koalas are often thought of as cuddly little teddy bears by most people, and stuffed koalas are collectors items to arctophiles.’
- ‘As this hobby has grown in popularity over the past five years the paper has been there to report on the world of arctophiles.’
- ‘With a usual limited edition number of between 10 and 300, popular bears and gollies may sell out very quickly, going to stay with arctophiles all over the world.’
- ‘As an arctophile (teddy bear collector), I find special interest in such things such as Steiff bears.’
- ‘Steiffie was added for my birthday in 1978, and that is when I truly became an arctophile, a serious collector of teddy bears.’
- ‘The company is able to focus its specific target audience and caters to arctophiles and artists world-wide.’
- ‘Asquith's is the perfect place for peckish arctophiles, because downstairs from the tearooms is a charming teddy bear shop.’
- ‘Don't forget to check out our bulletin board where you chat to and share your views with fellow arctophiles from all corners of the globe.’
- ‘Pongo's Vintage Teddy Bears is run by Teddy Bear lovers for fellow arctophiles.’
1970s: from Greek arctos ‘bear’ + -phile.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.