One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hare whose coat turns white in winter, found in the arctic areas of North America.
- ‘Some hares include the common hare, the jack rabbit, the Arctic hare, the snowshoe hare, the European hare, and the blue hare.’
- ‘Early historical reports suggest that mating in Arctic hares is something out of the ordinary.’
- ‘‘Arctic hares appear unusually unwary or ‘tame’, ‘notes A W F Banfield in his classic work, The Mammals of Canada.’’
- ‘The most important adaptations of the Arctic hare are its keen eyesight, acute hearing, and speed.’
- ‘The range of Arctic hares extend south of the peninsula, so there is some overlap between the two species of hares.’
- ‘The Arctic hare inhabits the tundra regions of Canada from Newfoundland west to the Mackenzie River Delta and north to the tip of Ellesmere Island.’
- ‘But before winter begins, Arctic hares change their fur; they turn snow-white and are hardly visible in the snow-covered scenery.’
- ‘The range of the Arctic hare in Canada extends from Newfoundland to the High Arctic.’
- ‘The breeding season of Arctic hare is indicated by the growth and regression of the male gonads; the gonads enlarge in April and regress in mid-September.’
- ‘I saw a grizzly bear swimming, caribou on my hike with Dad, Arctic fox and Arctic hares.’
- ‘The biggest enemies of the Arctic hare are the fox, the polar bear, the wolverine, and the ermine.’
- ‘The Arctic hare can be found in Northern Canada, usually above the tree line and some islands off Greenland.’
- ‘Instead of a plump, bunny - like body, Arctic hares have muscles that bulge beneath their skin.’
- ‘So, Arctic hares, for example, have short ears close to their bodies.’
- ‘Join a photo safari and ‘shoot’ musk oxen, reindeer and Arctic hares and foxes.’
- ‘Evidence suggests that in insular Newfoundland Arctic hares may produce two, perhaps three litters in some years.’
- ‘Backs to the wind, the herd of Arctic hares grazed on purple saxifrage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.