One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hare whose coat turns white in winter, found in the arctic areas of North America.
Lepus arcticus, family Leporidae
- ‘Some hares include the common hare, the jack rabbit, the Arctic hare, the snowshoe hare, the European hare, and the blue hare.’
- ‘But before winter begins, Arctic hares change their fur; they turn snow-white and are hardly visible in the snow-covered scenery.’
- ‘Evidence suggests that in insular Newfoundland Arctic hares may produce two, perhaps three litters in some years.’
- ‘Join a photo safari and ‘shoot’ musk oxen, reindeer and Arctic hares and foxes.’
- ‘The Arctic hare can be found in Northern Canada, usually above the tree line and some islands off Greenland.’
- ‘The breeding season of Arctic hare is indicated by the growth and regression of the male gonads; the gonads enlarge in April and regress in mid-September.’
- ‘So, Arctic hares, for example, have short ears close to their bodies.’
- ‘The range of Arctic hares extend south of the peninsula, so there is some overlap between the two species of hares.’
- ‘I saw a grizzly bear swimming, caribou on my hike with Dad, Arctic fox and Arctic hares.’
- ‘‘Arctic hares appear unusually unwary or ‘tame’, ‘notes A W F Banfield in his classic work, The Mammals of Canada.’’
- ‘Instead of a plump, bunny - like body, Arctic hares have muscles that bulge beneath their skin.’
- ‘Backs to the wind, the herd of Arctic hares grazed on purple saxifrage.’
- ‘The Arctic hare inhabits the tundra regions of Canada from Newfoundland west to the Mackenzie River Delta and north to the tip of Ellesmere Island.’
- ‘The most important adaptations of the Arctic hare are its keen eyesight, acute hearing, and speed.’
- ‘The biggest enemies of the Arctic hare are the fox, the polar bear, the wolverine, and the ermine.’
- ‘Early historical reports suggest that mating in Arctic hares is something out of the ordinary.’
- ‘The range of the Arctic hare in Canada extends from Newfoundland to the High Arctic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.