One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or skill of shooting with a bow and arrows, especially at a target.
- ‘They are used to stop the hands and body shaking while competing in sports such as shooting and archery.’
- ‘They can have a go at ringo rides, high rope courses, rock climbing, orienteering and archery.’
- ‘He was useless with a sword, missed his targets in archery, fell off his horse as soon as he got on, and in general hated fighting.’
- ‘The activities covered everything from archery to water sports and rock climbing.’
- ‘Thompson is a sports freak, with archery, cricket and scuba diving among his passions.’
- ‘A huge range of activities are on offer from horse riding to archery to golf to keep people entertained.’
- ‘Live theatre, games, dancing, arts and crafts and archery, bring to life the Middle Ages.’
- ‘They have witnessed many Olympic events, including basketball, cycling, football and archery.’
- ‘Try your hand at coin-striking, archery or even crossbow firing and watch as the soldiers round up new recruits.’
- ‘Helen joins in a game of archery with a group of enthusiastic children.’
- ‘The form of combat which Simeon prefers is archery, where the arrows have no sharp end, but a rubber stopper.’
- ‘It is quite obvious that to improve in archery we need to practice and improve our power of concentration.’
- ‘All young men in medieval villages were expected to practice archery so there were many skilled archers to be found.’
- ‘Sportsmen and women took part in a total of 10 sports which ranged from archery to snooker and rifle shooting to swimming.’
- ‘There's lots to choose from: tennis, football, golf, archery, riding, canoeing.’
- ‘Often she would go riding, or practise her archery and fencing, all of which she was extremely skilled at.’
- ‘She was practicing archery, and had totally missed the target and was yelling at it.’
- ‘Renee got hooked on the sport after trying archery during a camping holiday to France with her husband, Ian.’
- ‘They say children watch wrestling on television instead of playing traditional sports such as archery.’
- ‘All dangerous sports were banned but archery was seen as essential to maintaining the country's military strength.’
Late Middle English: from Old French archerie, from archier (see archer).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.