Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The district for which an archbishop is responsible.
- ‘He does care about the Boston archdiocese and is dedicated to addressing its needs.’
- ‘The archdiocese responded, in part, by forming a human rights committee.’
- ‘He returned to his own diocese and up until his death he served the archdiocese of Melbourne with distinction.’
- ‘From there he went to a parish up in Ulster County, the far reaches of the archdiocese.’
- ‘Last December, he gave a day of recollection at Dunwoodie Seminary for the priests of the archdiocese.’
- ‘The archbishop of the Prague archdiocese is the only Czech cardinal.’
- ‘Varappuzha was raised to the status of an Archdiocese in 1886 and was the first archdiocese of Kerala.’
- ‘The exhibit includes images from Mount Saint Mary's Seminary and other sites in the archdioceses of Washington and Baltimore.’
- ‘We are a small diocese, carved out of Denver's archdiocese in the 1980s, with a tradition of strong lay leadership.’
- ‘The archdiocese includes all of Dublin, most of Wicklow and parts of Counties Kildare, Carlow, Wexford and Laois.’
- ‘If the state's action could have been foreseen, would the archdiocese have spent so much money on a new cathedral?’
- ‘Egan and McCarrick are relative newcomers to their archdioceses.’
- ‘One of the findings of this clumsy study was that the average age of death of priests in the archdiocese had been thirty-six years old.’
- ‘The Catholic Church in the US has 60m members and 186 archdioceses all of them involved in fundraising.’
- ‘The archdiocese has opened a string of museums, including one last week, in a bid to preserve for posterity the history and tradition of the church in India.’
- ‘Vocations to the priesthood are now almost adequate in some of the major Catholic archdioceses, although in other places numbers continue low.’
- ‘By the end of 1941, the US State Department reported that only 34 priests out of 828 were left in the archdiocese of Posen.’
- ‘In 2000, the Munich Radio Orchestra launched a yearly series of concerts called ‘Paradisi gloria,’ co-sponsored by the archdioceses in Munich and Freising.’
- ‘He said had it not been for prayers from the archdiocese, friends and family, coupled with therapy, he would not have recovered fully from the paralysis.’
- ‘From the inception of the project the archdiocese insisted on a robust design to preserve the function and integrity of the structure.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.