Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A furnace that uses an electric arc as a heat source, especially for steelmaking.
- ‘One disadvantage here is that, steel production from scrap metal will have gaseous emissions and metal dust as prominent sources of waste from arc furnaces.’
- ‘Most titanium investment cast parts are made with the vacuum arc remelting technique, which uses a vacuum arc furnace to melt a portion of a titanium electrode into a water - cooled copper crucible.’
- ‘Some residents and environmentalists believe that the plant, which treated toxic arc furnace dust collected in the air pollution control system at steel plants, was the source of most of the dioxin.’
- ‘Steel manufactured in arc furnaces from scrap uses far less energy than traditional openhearth furnaces using pig iron.’
- ‘And I realised, when I looked at the arc furnace, that he went into a place like that day in, day out, for all those years.’
- ‘Silicon dioxide (silica, the compound that forms quartz, glass, and beach sand) is melted with charcoal in an arc furnace to reduce it to elemental silicon.’
- ‘The smelter complex will consist of two submerged arc furnaces with a power rating of 15 mega-watt each.’
- ‘Mercury pours out of smokestacks and arc furnaces and, according to the National Center for Atmospheric Research, tons of it (stored in foliage and ground litter) goes up in smoke during wildfires.’
- ‘It pointed out that while the tariff was being hiked for the small-scale sector, the arc furnaces were being given relief by reduction in the tariff.’
- ‘Hulking hooks and giant cranes have been left untouched and lying dormant is an enormous arc furnace - an awesome man-made crucible of creation once capable of producing hundreds of tons of steel each day by melting scrap metal.’
- ‘The highest values were detected in personal samples from the handling of molten metal by the arc furnace.’
- ‘Mini-mills are small, efficient producers that use arc furnaces to melt scrap and have significant advantages in terms of lower labour and capital construction costs.’
- ‘Max's arc furnace can only fuse 5 gram buttons into irregular buttons of about 50 grams.’
- ‘In duplexing, the iron is melted in a cupola or arc furnace, and the molten metal is transferred to a coreless or channel-type induction furnace for holding and pouring.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.