One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two evergreen plants of the family "Ericaceae" (heath family).
- ‘But it seemed so distant from where he sat now, with mosquitoes biting at his wrists and a wilted arbutus on the sill.’
- ‘Deval's studio, a large, light room at the center of the house, looked out onto a walled garden, overhung with climbing roses and arbutus trees.’
- ‘She locked the car and walked up the driveway, smiling at the rosebuds just beginning to bloom and the new green leaves on the two tall arbutus trees in front of the house.’
- ‘We ran to daycare together and pointed out all the arbutus trees along the way.’
- ‘Also known as arbutus or madrona, these large, red-barked trees cling to the cliffs above Puget Sound like well-muscled rock climbers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.