One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A botanical garden devoted to trees.
- ‘Observing different shrubs in a nearby arboretum, nursery, or on neighboring land can be helpful in making your choices.’
- ‘The oxygen sensor was inserted through the bark side in the same way as for the trees in the arboretum.’
- ‘By being very ‘kid friendly,’ many botanical gardens and arboretums are attracting a wider array of visitors, thanks to the addition of gardens designed especially for children.’
- ‘Partners - include other herbaria, museums, arboreta, and/or botanic gardens’
- ‘Visit native plant nurseries and local botanical gardens and arboreta to learn which ones best fit your site.’
- ‘More than a thousand conkers had been harvested from the arboretum's 102 horse chestnut trees for use in a variety of games.’
- ‘Each year more than 500,000 visitors from all parts of the world visit the 9,000 different kinds of plants growing at the arboretum.’
- ‘For the millennium the hotel planted 600 trees to create an arboretum.’
- ‘Founded in 1984, the Center is supported by a consortium of 29 botanical gardens and arboreta throughout the United States.’
- ‘The Center for Plant Conservation, housed at the Missouri Botanical Garden, has organized a network of arboreta that keep endangered plants from across the United States.’
- ‘Before you buy, take advantage of the abundant references on gardening at local libraries, universities, arboretums, parks where trees are identified, native plant and gardening clubs, and nurseries.’
- ‘Since that time a botanical garden and an arboretum for native and endangered Hawaiian plants have been established in Waimea Valley.’
- ‘During this period, Corona planted a new arboretum and created the bog garden and a walk was completed from the lodge to the house.’
- ‘At the northeast corner of the arboretum is the wooden Tree House.’
- ‘This text was assembled by two botanists at the Morris Arboretum, the official arboretum of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.’
- ‘It is one of the first trees in the arboretum to come into leaf and flowers prolifically with large creamy/pink blossoms in spring.’
- ‘‘There were all the signs of it being a spectacular autumn but if you look around the arboretum a lot of trees are still green,’ he said.’
- ‘Each year, millions of people visit participating gardens and arboreta where they can view and learn about native plant resources that most will probably never see in the wild.’
- ‘Like aquaria, arboreta and botanical gardens do not always include historical treatments, but some do and many should.’
- ‘The tree photographed here, a fine old weeping variety, is among the five dozen kinds of flowering cherries in the arboretum's collection.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, ‘a place with trees’, from arbor ‘tree’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.