One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A botanical garden devoted to trees.
- ‘More than a thousand conkers had been harvested from the arboretum's 102 horse chestnut trees for use in a variety of games.’
- ‘Observing different shrubs in a nearby arboretum, nursery, or on neighboring land can be helpful in making your choices.’
- ‘Visit native plant nurseries and local botanical gardens and arboreta to learn which ones best fit your site.’
- ‘‘There were all the signs of it being a spectacular autumn but if you look around the arboretum a lot of trees are still green,’ he said.’
- ‘The Center for Plant Conservation, housed at the Missouri Botanical Garden, has organized a network of arboreta that keep endangered plants from across the United States.’
- ‘The tree photographed here, a fine old weeping variety, is among the five dozen kinds of flowering cherries in the arboretum's collection.’
- ‘The oxygen sensor was inserted through the bark side in the same way as for the trees in the arboretum.’
- ‘By being very ‘kid friendly,’ many botanical gardens and arboretums are attracting a wider array of visitors, thanks to the addition of gardens designed especially for children.’
- ‘Since that time a botanical garden and an arboretum for native and endangered Hawaiian plants have been established in Waimea Valley.’
- ‘Like aquaria, arboreta and botanical gardens do not always include historical treatments, but some do and many should.’
- ‘This text was assembled by two botanists at the Morris Arboretum, the official arboretum of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.’
- ‘Founded in 1984, the Center is supported by a consortium of 29 botanical gardens and arboreta throughout the United States.’
- ‘Each year, millions of people visit participating gardens and arboreta where they can view and learn about native plant resources that most will probably never see in the wild.’
- ‘Partners - include other herbaria, museums, arboreta, and/or botanic gardens’
- ‘At the northeast corner of the arboretum is the wooden Tree House.’
- ‘During this period, Corona planted a new arboretum and created the bog garden and a walk was completed from the lodge to the house.’
- ‘It is one of the first trees in the arboretum to come into leaf and flowers prolifically with large creamy/pink blossoms in spring.’
- ‘Each year more than 500,000 visitors from all parts of the world visit the 9,000 different kinds of plants growing at the arboretum.’
- ‘For the millennium the hotel planted 600 trees to create an arboretum.’
- ‘Before you buy, take advantage of the abundant references on gardening at local libraries, universities, arboretums, parks where trees are identified, native plant and gardening clubs, and nurseries.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, ‘a place with trees’, from arbor ‘tree’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.