One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A day dedicated annually to public tree-planting in the US, Australia, and other countries. It is usually observed in late April or early May.
- ‘Four years ago we planted 17 000 trees at Orange Farm, and on Arbor Day last August we planted 4 000 trees in Soweto.’
- ‘We live in Florida, and bought a dogwood from the Extension service on Arbor Day three years ago.’
- ‘In effect, by participating in the new Arbor Day and commemorating Sun Yat-sen, the people celebrated the nation under Chiang Kai-shek's rule and contributed, symbolically and materially, to the growth of its resources.’
- ‘On Arbor Day last year the Zoo Lake Users' Committee planted 60 indigenous trees - including wild olives and yellowwoods - in the park.’
- ‘On Arbor Day last year the Committee planted 60 indigenous trees - including wild olives and yellowwoods - in the park.’
- ‘From Valentine's Day to Memorial Day, Arbor Day to Christmas Day, there was always a huge parade with festivities to go along.’
- ‘This was replaced in the 20th century with Arbor Day.’
- ‘The Souvenir Booklet was prepared for the two hundredth Arbor Day in 1986.’
- ‘In spite of their overwhelming vote for the violet on Arbor Day in 1897, their favorite flower wasn't officially adopted.’
- ‘On Arbor Day, when all eyes are on Omar, he eventually springs into action.’
- ‘Arbor Day this year saw Buffalo City Mayor Sindisile Maclean transformed from a cutter of trees into a tree planter.’
- ‘She plans to announce Global ReLeaf's next milestone on Arbor Day.’
- ‘The company had a surplus of cards left over from Arbor Day depicting a fir tree and decided to unload them by the box by simply printing Merry Christmas across the trees in red ink.’
- ‘Every year, we did exactly one thing; plant a tree on Arbor Day.’
- ‘They plant trees on Arbor Day and study rocks and crystals.’
- ‘This year, Arbor Day is observed on April 18 in Colorado, April 25 in Idaho, Montana, and Utah, and April 28 in Wyoming.’
- ‘On Arbor Day the zoo will hold informative programmes about trees, herbs and animals, which are open to the public.’
- ‘Will the network be the official sponsor of Arbor Day?’
- ‘On Arbor Day schoolchildren planted trees to learn the value of reforestation.’
- ‘When Arbor Day was introduced in schools the Mount Remarkable Board of Advice obtained several hundred trees from the Wirrabara forest for distribution to schools in and around Melrose.’
From Latin arbor ‘tree’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.