One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An invertebrate of an order that comprises the spiders.
Order Araneae, in particular the family Araneidae
- ‘The araneids are distinguished by their rather short, stout legs which are very spiny in most of the genera.’
- ‘Females hunted for araneid spiders among the dense vegetation bordering the sand in which they nested.’
- ‘Wasps have been observed catching araneids by landing on the orb webs, enticing the spiders out from their retreat and capturing them without becoming entangled in the spider's web.’
- ‘Yet, many araneids have evolved highly specialized web construction behaviors that result in webs unlike typical orb webs.’
- ‘She was just sitting there, as araneids are wont to do when there is no prey on their web.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Araneida (former order name), from aranea ‘spider’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.