One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An arthropod of the class "Arachnida", such as a spider or scorpion.
- ‘A group of 350 scientists, naturalists, and volunteers found 836 species from fish and arachnids to algae and snails.’
- ‘The hairy arachnid's venom was found to include chemicals that target the same pain pathways as chili peppers, causing maximum distress to bite victims.’
- ‘In the comic book world, too, spiders, which are of course really arachnids, are considered insects.’
- ‘‘Apart from social spiders that build mutual webs, I can't think of any other examples’ of such a collective trap strategy among insects or arachnids, Jones added.’
- ‘Wolbachia bacteria infect many insects, arachnids (mites and spiders), crustaceans, and parasitic nematodes.’
Relating to or denoting arachnids.
- ‘Other containers house giant cockroaches and itty-bitty arachnid hatchlings, a few months old and smaller than a pinky nail.’
- ‘All spiders are members of the arachnid order Araneae, which is divided into two suborders.’
- ‘It is dark brown, with short hair bristling off eight legs that support its arachnid body.’
- ‘Both these species have a predilection for arachnid flesh but are otherwise quite different.’
- ‘Without the bone chilling, sustained freezing temperatures of years gone by the arachnid population thrives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.