One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small toucan with a serrated bill, and typically with a green back and wings, yellow underside, and red rump.
- ‘Toucans and araçaris are likely to be perched up high too, and who knows what else we might spot - highlights in the past have included Tiny Hawk, Spangled Cotinga, Sulphury Flycatcher, and Moriche Oriole.’
- ‘Less well-known are the small toucans known as aracaris, who have their own jerky charm.’
- ‘The toucanets live a few years more, but the aracaris have shorter life spans.’
- ‘The two aracaris, who had free range of the Zoo's bird and reptile building via their open home, found such an opening in the building and entered, intending to nest build.’
- ‘Once we reach the tropical humid forest we will look for an array of araçaris, toucans, and parrots.’
- ‘Toucans, toucanets, and aracaris are frugivorous birds, whose primary diet is fruit.’
- ‘And you could not help but notice the birds - toucanetes, oropendulas, parakeets, aracaris, hummingbirds’
- ‘They are classified in the same genealogical family as the toucanet - a smaller version of the toucan - and the aracari - which has a differently shaped beak, and is smaller than the toucan.’
- ‘Collared aracaris live in groups and five adults may roost in the nest cavity after the eggs hatch.’
- ‘Toucans range from 20 inches to 25 inches while toucanets and aracaris are from 14 inches to 16 inches in length.’
- ‘In our opinion, the Ramphastids (toucans, toucanettes, and aracaris) should be in breeding programs.’
- ‘Below is a painting by John Gould of Derby's araçari, with a little less white and more dark red on its bill than the bird on the photo.’
- ‘The seller in the photo is peddling collared aracaris to passersby.’
- ‘Although Ramphastos toucans are impressive, I prefer some of the smaller araçaris and toucanets.’
- ‘Noisy and restless, aracaris can be seen in groups of 12 or more straggling almost single file through the trees, staying mostly up in the highest trees.’
Early 19th century: via Portuguese from Tupi arasa'ri.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.