One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the numerals 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Arabic numerals reached western Europe through Arabia, replacing Roman numerals, by about AD 1200, but probably originated in India.
- ‘Would this be easier if we just used Arabic numerals?’
- ‘The book, which went on to be widely copied and imitated, introduced the Hindu-Arabic place-valued decimal system and the use of Arabic numerals into Europe.’
- ‘Oddly, Syrians do not use standard Arabic numerals.’
- ‘You can change the watch's timekeeping face in many different ways, from a traditional analog style - Roman or Arabic numerals - to one of several digital designs.’
- ‘Mathematics is an area in which one often must master multiple, related symbol systems, such as Arabic numerals and names for ordinal and cardinal numbers.’
- ‘It is also remarkable in that it contains Arabic numerals, not Greek ones.’
- ‘‘Like some people, I find it quite annoying to insert English characters or Arabic numerals in vertical Chinese scripts,’ Wang said.’
- ‘Numbers are Arabic numerals, foreign words can be in roman alphabet or another syllabic script, katakana, and then there can be furigana, a tiny script to sit above Chinese characters when clues are needed about how to pronounce them.’
- ‘We can check this answer using Arabic numerals.’
- ‘Many crucial systems, such as algebra, the Arabic numerals, and also the concept of the zero (vital to the advancement of mathematics), were transmitted to medieval Europe from Islam.’
- ‘Today, with legitimate reason, the ten symbols are internationally referred to as Arabic numerals.’
- ‘A major advance was the introduction of Arabic numerals including the apparently simple but tremendously important feature of having a symbol for the number zero.’
- ‘All patients were efficient in processing Arabic numerals, suggesting that this code and its underlying conceptual base are sufficient for calculation.’
- ‘Those jumps are rated using Arabic numerals between 1 and 4, where 1 is easy and 4 is a very difficult jump.’
- ‘Now, the Arabs cannot claim that the zero was an original concept, but without their incorporation of it into mathematics we probably wouldn't have it now, just as we probably wouldn't have Arabic numerals.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.