Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A transparent tank of water in which fish and other water creatures and plants are kept.
aquarium, bowlView synonyms
- ‘Beginning May 1, he will live seven days under water, trapped inside a human aquarium.’
- ‘Storage aquaria had a constant water supply with nonfiltered seawater at ambient sea temperature.’
- ‘This infection may occur in people exposed to contaminated water in aquariums or pools.’
- ‘At another end of the exhibition floor, a sea water aquarium showed off fish which make their home on the Bucco Reef in Tobago.’
- ‘Some anglers run their own salt water aquariums to ensure a constant supply of eels throughout the season but believe me, that requires a lot of hard work and time devoted to it.’
- ‘Hermit crabs want to live free in the sunshine, not bottled up in aquariums.’
- ‘A temperature of 28 to 32 degree Celsius was maintained in the aquarium and the fish adapted to it.’
- ‘We got a beautiful aquarium and everything to go with it from fish and plant friendly chemicals to plants and rocks.’
- ‘We transferred nymphs to glass aquaria containing stream water, for rearing.’
- ‘A layer of gravel covered the bottom of the aquaria, and terracotta pots were placed in each tank to allow establishment and maintenance of male territories.’
- ‘If you have a saltwater tank or freshwater plant aquarium, just ignore me.’
- ‘Plants were randomized within the aquaria, and re-randomized following a water change.’
- ‘The article explained the structure and functions of sea water aquariums in domestic households.’
- ‘She kept young largemouth bass in ten-litre aquariums filled with buckyball-contaminated water.’
- ‘On the whole, it's a gift in the hands of those who were fed up of purchasing the typical type of aquaria with just water and fishes.’
- ‘It is Goldfishes of all size, shape, and colour that were mostly found in the fresh water aquariums at the show.’
- ‘The tubes were floated in 57 L plastic aquaria receiving flow-through sea water pumped directly from the ocean.’
- ‘Unless you are rather experienced at maintaining a salt water aquarium, forget it.’
- ‘The orchids were delicate and beautiful and the aquarium and aquatic plants awesome.’
- ‘The grinning Michael beckoned me over the side and we stepped into a shallow aquarium of sun-warmed transparency.’
- 1.1A building containing aquariums, especially one that is open to the public.
- ‘He was much more at home in rumpled khakis or a wet suit and in the aquarium with the dolphins.’
- ‘In 1843 a reptile house was opened, an aquarium in 1853, and an insect house in 1881.’
- ‘In Swakopmund the ministry is located in the double-storey beach-front building next to the aquarium.’
- ‘I just do not support anyone that enslaves or kills non-human animals for profit, such as slaughterhouses, research facilities, circuses or animal prisons - aquariums and zoos.’
- ‘The foundation, which helps make the dreams of poorly boys and girls come true, arranged for Chloe to meet some dolphins at an aquarium in Benidorm.’
- ‘Therefore, we encourage others to study molt in alcids and other seabirds by collaborating with zoos, aquaria, and others around the world that house such species.’
- ‘The maintenance of species in captivity in zoos, aquaria, and botanic gardens is sometimes called ex situ conservation.’
- ‘They abhor hunters and fishermen, and want animals out of research labs, circuses, and aquariums.’
- ‘I also like going to aquariums and being able to observe different fish; the bluefin, or yellowtail, is an awesome design, very sleek and fast.’
- ‘In the dream I have a job working at a sort of aquarium / waterworld place with dolphins and stuff.’
- ‘Tour seven aquariums, housing such species as Atlantic stingrays, sea horses, crabs, blennies, flounder, and puffer fish.’
- ‘As well as an ideas sharing forum the conference is also a hub for marine research and conservation and includes experts who advise zoos and aquariums how to breed endangered species in captivity.’
- ‘Nickie works at an aquarium as a dolphin trainer and speeds around town on his super-sweet motorcycle.’
- ‘What messages are children taking away from zoos, animal parks and aquariums?’
- ‘I could finally see all the spectacular fish, corals, and associated animals that I've seen in aquariums and on TV all my life.’
- ‘Among the strait's most impressive creatures is the beautiful sea pen, and these beautiful animals are often displayed in public aquariums.’
- ‘Clear acrylic tunnels through the aquariums would allow visitors to see the animals.’
- ‘At the nearby aquarium, the children were awestruck by the different kinds of fish.’
- ‘We were walking through the aquarium, glass fish tanks surrounding us on all sides.’
- ‘Up to that point, traditional aquariums offered views of segregated species through small fish tank windows.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, neuter of aquarius of water on the pattern of vivarium.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.