One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rearing of aquatic animals or the cultivation of aquatic plants for food.
- ‘We see it as no less important for land-based aquaculture than it is for sea-based aquaculture.’
- ‘The good news about mussel farming is that unlike other forms of aquaculture, the end product is better than the wild version.’
- ‘Fishing for glass eel could also continue if these eels are used for restocking rivers but not used for aquaculture.’
- ‘One in five inhabitants of the coastal provinces depends on shrimp aquaculture.’
- ‘Runoff from intense agriculture is a big factor, as is intense aquaculture.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin aqua ‘water’ + culture, on the pattern of words such as agriculture.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.