Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light bluish-green color; aquamarine.‘houses of yellow and aqua’[as modifier] ‘aqua blue’
greenish, viridescentView synonyms
- ‘Moiré and mother of pearl pastel watch faces in colours like pink and aqua and agate will also capture an iridescent feel.’
- ‘In this show a deep, clear blue predominated among white, aqua, buttery yellow and dusty or radiant pinks.’
- ‘Using a palette of aqua and Alaskan blue, limie green, peach, and ashes of roses, the line resonated his quest for a neat balance.’
- ‘The sky was waning from a light and pale blue to a richer aqua and many of the villages were now emerging from the lengthening shadows.’
- ‘Although she must have had some insight into it, because all the decorations were in her favourite aqua blue, like the dress which was low cut and slim.’
- ‘All the Rondos are two-toned, the color pairings including orange and crimson, Nile green and bright yellow, aqua and dark blue.’
- ‘That's when we log on, make sure that designer flyswatter is still in stock and that shirt is available in light aqua, and place our order.’
- ‘The only differences between their eyes were that one was dark green, while the other one was aqua blue, very blue, and very intent on her.’
- ‘The light is blue, not aqua like some other manufacture's have created.’
- ‘Within each open container is a creamer cup holding a dollop of latex house paint in a color such as royal blue, pale aqua, lime green or muted yellow.’
- ‘She was entranced by his eyes which shimmered different shades of blue and aqua, which immediately made her think of the sea on a clear sunny day.’
- ‘‘And in a range of colours from fuchsia to orange, yellow to aqua,’ she adds.’
- ‘Fresh aqua blue, sandy tan, sea glass green and pale peach are all colors which figure strongly in this scheme.’
- ‘When shopping, go for hot colors such as pink, aqua blue, yellow, apple green, and lavender.’
- ‘One dragon was fiery red, one was aqua blue, one green, and the last, pure, dazzling white.’
- ‘Other colors such as golden, red, beige and aqua blue were too often repeated and, therefore, not quite challenging.’
- ‘They even have a uniform in the club colours of purple, aqua and gold.’
- ‘Bright orange, pink, aqua blue, purple and gold are some of the ‘good bye to conservative’ shades visible in the collections.’
- ‘They don't change your color, but give your eyes a light blue, aqua or green tint.’
- ‘Purple is still keen, but so is aqua, yellow, and even rusty orange.’
1930s: abbreviation of aquamarine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.