Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light bluish-green color; aquamarine.‘houses of yellow and aqua’[as modifier] ‘aqua blue’
greenish, viridescentView synonyms
- ‘One dragon was fiery red, one was aqua blue, one green, and the last, pure, dazzling white.’
- ‘The light is blue, not aqua like some other manufacture's have created.’
- ‘She was entranced by his eyes which shimmered different shades of blue and aqua, which immediately made her think of the sea on a clear sunny day.’
- ‘Using a palette of aqua and Alaskan blue, limie green, peach, and ashes of roses, the line resonated his quest for a neat balance.’
- ‘The only differences between their eyes were that one was dark green, while the other one was aqua blue, very blue, and very intent on her.’
- ‘That's when we log on, make sure that designer flyswatter is still in stock and that shirt is available in light aqua, and place our order.’
- ‘All the Rondos are two-toned, the color pairings including orange and crimson, Nile green and bright yellow, aqua and dark blue.’
- ‘When shopping, go for hot colors such as pink, aqua blue, yellow, apple green, and lavender.’
- ‘They don't change your color, but give your eyes a light blue, aqua or green tint.’
- ‘Within each open container is a creamer cup holding a dollop of latex house paint in a color such as royal blue, pale aqua, lime green or muted yellow.’
- ‘In this show a deep, clear blue predominated among white, aqua, buttery yellow and dusty or radiant pinks.’
- ‘The sky was waning from a light and pale blue to a richer aqua and many of the villages were now emerging from the lengthening shadows.’
- ‘Fresh aqua blue, sandy tan, sea glass green and pale peach are all colors which figure strongly in this scheme.’
- ‘Bright orange, pink, aqua blue, purple and gold are some of the ‘good bye to conservative’ shades visible in the collections.’
- ‘Purple is still keen, but so is aqua, yellow, and even rusty orange.’
- ‘Moiré and mother of pearl pastel watch faces in colours like pink and aqua and agate will also capture an iridescent feel.’
- ‘Although she must have had some insight into it, because all the decorations were in her favourite aqua blue, like the dress which was low cut and slim.’
- ‘They even have a uniform in the club colours of purple, aqua and gold.’
- ‘‘And in a range of colours from fuchsia to orange, yellow to aqua,’ she adds.’
- ‘Other colors such as golden, red, beige and aqua blue were too often repeated and, therefore, not quite challenging.’
1930s: abbreviation of aquamarine.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.