Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A primitive wingless insect of the group Apterygota, which includes the bristletails and springtails.
- ‘Your discussion should include descriptions of the life habits, types of metamorphosis and morphological characteristics of the apterygotes, but the main focus should be o evaluating arguments for or against including the apterygotes in the Class Insecta.’
- ‘In all apterygotes and in mayflies it is bidirectional.’
- ‘In the past the collembolans, proturans and two other groups; the diplurans and the thysanurans were all grouped together as the apterygotes or the wingless insects.’
- ‘The lateral imprints of the thoracic legs appear too long to have been made by an apterygote, particularly a monuran.’
- ‘In a current project we concentrate on the basal insects and aim to elucidate the phylogeny among the so-called apterygotes and their relationships to other arthropods using molecular and morphological approaches.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.