Used to show that something is almost, but not completely, accurate or exact; roughly.‘a journey of approximately two hours’
roughly, about, around, just about, round about, or so, or thereabouts, more or less, in the neighbourhood of, in the region of, in the area of, in the vicinity of, of the order of, something like, in round numbers, rounded down, rounded upnear to, close to, nearly, not far off, almost, approachinggetting on forcircapushing, as near as dammitin the ballpark ofnighView synonyms
- ‘The walk will cover a distance of four miles taking approximately two hours to complete.’
- ‘The property is situated on approximately three quarters of an acre of mature garden.’
- ‘This was a result of a downpour of torrential rain which lasted approximately an hour and a half.’
- ‘She's wearing a dress so skimpy it's approximately the size of a tiny postage stamp.’
- ‘In the end they held on, to go into the next round in approximately two weeks time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.