One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very small application, especially a utility program performing one or a few simple functions.
- ‘Read the patent and you'll see it covers the use of embedded program objects, or applets within Web documents.’
- ‘In addition to the usual mail and address book applets it has a voice note recorder and a scribbling application.’
- ‘Depending on your computer, certain applets already are placed on the panels, but several others may be added.’
- ‘He and his students worked both in labs and on the computer with various physics applets.’
- ‘If you want to take a screenshot of the applications you are evaluating, using the screenshot applet is straightforward.’
1990s: blend of application and -let.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.