Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very small application, especially a utility program performing one or a few simple functions.
- ‘Depending on your computer, certain applets already are placed on the panels, but several others may be added.’
- ‘Read the patent and you'll see it covers the use of embedded program objects, or applets within Web documents.’
- ‘In addition to the usual mail and address book applets it has a voice note recorder and a scribbling application.’
- ‘He and his students worked both in labs and on the computer with various physics applets.’
- ‘If you want to take a screenshot of the applications you are evaluating, using the screenshot applet is straightforward.’
1990s: blend of application and -let.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.