Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small dish of food or a drink taken before a meal or the main course of a meal to stimulate one's appetite.
starter, canapé, first course, finger food, titbit, savoury, snackhors d'oeuvre, amuse-gueuleantipastoView synonyms
- ‘We started with an appetizer of duck ravioli which sounds scarier than it was.’
- ‘These dishes were appetizers, and if anything, a few of them seemed a little too light.’
- ‘It was a warming appetiser to the main course of the evening.’
- ‘The menu has appetizers, sandwiches, pastas, salads and 23 kinds of pizzas.’
- ‘The meal starts with an appetizer of citrus-scented crab salad mounded on cucumber slices.’
- ‘The menu at least held out the promise of a return to familiarity: lots of pasta dishes and pizzas, a generous selection of appetisers and some intriguing main courses.’
- ‘An apéritif is served with small snacks or appetizers before the meal.’
- ‘Along with a rotating selection of appetizers and main courses, every day has its signature dish.’
- ‘It is a red wine flavoured with cherries and prunes and has a sharp yet very pleasant effect on the palate, at the same time satisfying as an accompaniment to a meal and acting as an appetiser.’
- ‘The new menu also includes a variety of soups, salads, appetisers, pasta and bakes and of course, all those pizzas.’
- ‘Our ostensible mission is to find New York's perfect pizza, but the restaurant is a little way off, so we duck into a dumpling bar for an appetiser.’
- ‘They have some more unusual items on their menu, fish curries and even chaat appetizers like bhel puri.’
- ‘After such vibrant appetizers, some of the more subtle noodle dishes taste a tad subdued.’
- ‘The main menu is a simple list - no designations for appetizers, main courses, or sides.’
- ‘Everything was presented with great panache and evening meals were preceded by complimentary canapes and appetisers.’
- ‘Combined with soup and appetisers such as kebabs, falafel, and pizzas or tortilla rolls, these can make a meal in themselves.’
- ‘The book is divided into chapters according to different types of meals, appetizers, desserts and drinks.’
- ‘We were celebrating our first night on vacation and so we all ordered steaks and our favorite appetizers.’
- ‘After a moment of contemplation she settled on a salad and appetizers.’
- ‘You need only to order the main course and the appetizers, dessert and all drinks are free.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.