Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The region of the hypothalamus of the brain that is believed to control a person's appetite for food.
- ‘This is because their appestat tells them to keep eating because the food in their diet lacks nutritional value.’
- ‘Just as a thermostat regulates the temperature in your house, the appestat regulates the appetite control.’
- ‘The entire regulatory apparatus is sometimes called the ‘appestat’ on the analogy of a thermostat, which regulates temperature.’
- ‘Your appestat is a control mechanism that has been fine-tuned for hundreds of generations.’
- ‘It is also thought by some authorities that bottle-fed babies are more likely to develop defective appestats than those that are breast-fed.’
1950s: from appetite, probably on the pattern of thermostat.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.