One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A serious medical condition in which the appendix becomes inflamed and painful.
- ‘The clinical presentation in all 7 cases was an acute abdomen with florid acute appendicitis.’
- ‘The pain is generally present without any palpation; for example, the painful abdomen associated with appendicitis.’
- ‘An elevated white blood cell count has a low predictive value for appendicitis because it is present in a number of conditions.’
- ‘The initiating signal for this and all other forms of clinical appendicitis still remains elusive.’
- ‘A hospital spokesman said that appendicitis was a common condition but to have two cases in the same family in such a short time was rare.’
- ‘This attitude results in early appendectomy in patients with clinical symptoms of appendicitis.’
- ‘Already some smaller district hospitals are refusing to operate on children suffering from common conditions such as appendicitis.’
- ‘The symptoms of appendicitis can vary, but they usually start with a pain in the middle of the abdomen, around the tummy button, that comes and goes.’
- ‘A clinical diagnosis of acute appendicitis was made, and the patient was operated on the same day.’
- ‘For this reason, it may cover up the signs of overdose caused by other medicines or the symptoms of appendicitis.’
- ‘Both times I was in the surgical ward along with patients with relatively minor problems like haemorrhoids or appendicitis.’
- ‘Laxative use can be dangerous if constipation is caused by a serious condition such as appendicitis or a bowel obstruction.’
- ‘Well we've been talking about the waxing and waning of asthma and appendicitis.’
- ‘Kevin was beginning to fear that he had some sort of rare, strange disease, like appendicitis or kidney stones, or maybe stomach ulcers.’
- ‘Its altered position would make symptoms of appendicitis difficult to determine in the future.’
- ‘The appendix in man is medically important because of its propensity to become inflamed in the condition known as acute appendicitis.’
- ‘Sometimes these symptoms are mistaken for the flu or appendicitis.’
- ‘He is said to have extracted medicine from plants and treated diseases such as appendicitis, gout and arthritis.’
- ‘The classic symptoms of appendicitis are abdominal pain, fever, loss of appetite, and vomiting.’
- ‘The symptoms of appendicitis can vary according to your child's age.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.