One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A surgical operation to remove the appendix.
- ‘By the end of the 1920s, deliveries and abortions, adenoidectomies, appendectomies, tonsillectomies, and the treatment of accident victims accounted for 60 percent of hospital admissions.’
- ‘Surgeries that were once routinely performed by opening the abdomen, such as gallbladder surgery and appendectomies were routinely done with laparoscopic techniques by 1999.’
- ‘This operation is called an appendicectomy or appendectomy.’
- ‘Researchers emphasize, however, that the absolute risk for developing Crohn's disease in 10 years is two patients per 1,000 appendectomies, and there is no reason to believe that appendectomy is the cause of increased risk.’
- ‘This alone makes it difficult for them to progress to performing operations like appendicectomies, which most current registrars were doing as pre-registration house officers.’
- ‘As a general surgical trainee, I had performed a couple of appendicectomies and a few other supervised operations, but I was certainly not ready to do anything as major as opening the abdomen without supervision.’
- ‘The most common abdominal operation performed on an emergency basis is the appendectomy, which is performed more than 250,000 times annually in the United States.’
- ‘Only two years previously, I had undergone an emergency appendicectomy.’
- ‘After an appendicectomy, some people can get an infection around the area of the wound.’
- ‘We've done nine appendicectomies, it's a very safe procedure in our hands, with no complications related to the appendicectomy or the surgery.’
- ‘It has also in recent times completed emergency procedures such as appendectomies, open fixation of broken bones and bowel resections.’
- ‘Early appendicectomy was first recommended and performed for non-perforated acute appendicitis in the 1880s.’
- ‘If a patient keeps going back to a specialist, particularly a surgeon, then hysterectomies, appendectomies and gall bladder operations are carried out unnecessarily.’
- ‘It was possible that it might be needed for an emergency appendectomy being undertaken by the ship's surgeon while at sea.’
- ‘All patients who underwent laparotomy or laparoscopy for suspected appendicitis had an appendicectomy.’
- ‘There also are reports of adenocarcinoma of the appendix presenting as a mucinous cystadenoma; therefore, an appendectomy should be performed at the time of surgery.’
- ‘Unlike her predecessors, Ms D scrubbed for only one surgical procedure, an appendectomy, the entire time she was in Vietnam.’
- ‘Additionally, cholecystectomies and appendectomies continue to be misclassified.’
- ‘For example, a general surgery session may include a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, appendectomy, and major bowel procedure.’
- ‘Appendicitis is treated by removing the inflamed appendix through an appendectomy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.