Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Time as calculated by the motion of the apparent (true) sun. The time indicated by a sundial corresponds to apparent solar time.Compare with mean solar time
- ‘Mean solar time, rather than apparent solar time, is the basis for local civil and standard time.’
- ‘To correct apparent solar time to mean solar time, one uses the equation of time displayed graphically below.’
- ‘It keeps apparent solar time, which is out of step with modern clock time on several counts.’
- ‘The deviations between apparent solar time and mean solar time are described by the equation of time’
- ‘Because of fast long rage communications, local apparent solar time is not useful to regulate our daily activities.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.