Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Time as calculated by the motion of the apparent (true) sun. The time indicated by a sundial corresponds to apparent solar time.Compare with mean solar time
- ‘It keeps apparent solar time, which is out of step with modern clock time on several counts.’
- ‘The deviations between apparent solar time and mean solar time are described by the equation of time’
- ‘Mean solar time, rather than apparent solar time, is the basis for local civil and standard time.’
- ‘Because of fast long rage communications, local apparent solar time is not useful to regulate our daily activities.’
- ‘To correct apparent solar time to mean solar time, one uses the equation of time displayed graphically below.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.