Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The death of cells which occurs as a normal and controlled part of an organism's growth or development.Also called programmed cell death
- ‘Programmed cell death by apoptosis plays a key role in molding the form of chick and mammalian limbs, especially the digits.’
- ‘The role of macrophage apoptosis in containing the growth of the bacilli is also discussed.’
- ‘Radioiodine can cause significant apoptosis and mitotic cell death in the thyroid tissue.’
- ‘We have reported that turmeric also activates the lymphocytes and induces apoptosis to tumor cells.’
- ‘In addition, the signals that lead a cell to necrosis or apoptosis remain to be elucidated.’
1970s: from Greek apoptōsis ‘falling off’, from apo ‘from’ + ptōsis ‘falling, a fall’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.