One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The death of cells which occurs as a normal and controlled part of an organism's growth or development.Also called programmed cell death
- ‘Radioiodine can cause significant apoptosis and mitotic cell death in the thyroid tissue.’
- ‘In addition, the signals that lead a cell to necrosis or apoptosis remain to be elucidated.’
- ‘Programmed cell death by apoptosis plays a key role in molding the form of chick and mammalian limbs, especially the digits.’
- ‘We have reported that turmeric also activates the lymphocytes and induces apoptosis to tumor cells.’
- ‘The role of macrophage apoptosis in containing the growth of the bacilli is also discussed.’
1970s: from Greek apoptōsis ‘falling off’, from apo ‘from’ + ptōsis ‘falling, a fall’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.