1Without feet or having undeveloped feet.
- ‘The Labyrinthodonta for the most part resemble the Urodela in the proportions of the tail and limbs to the body, but some (as Ophiderpeton) were serpentiform, and apparently apodal; no raniform Labyrinthodonts have yet been discovered.’
- ‘There are many kinds of lizards - quick, rocky, multi-coloured, Crimean lizards and the apodal lizard with a yellow belly.’
- 1.1(of fish) without ventral fins.
- ‘Apodal fish have bony gills and no ventral fins.’
- ‘On the deep sea bottom of the central Red Sea, a carcharhinid deep water shark, Iago omanensis, and the apodal fish Muraenesox cinereus were captured by means of a photo trap in a depth of 740 m.’
Early 19th century: from Greek apous, apod- footless (from a- without + pous, pod- foot) + -ous.