One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting multicellular glands which release some of their cytoplasm in their secretions, especially the sweat glands associated with hair follicles in the armpits and pubic regions.Compare with eccrine
- ‘Or maybe you should just consult a physician to get your eccrine and apocrine glands examined.’
- ‘Around puberty, our apocrine glands kick into action, releasing thick secretions into hair follicles.’
- ‘The smell is made by the bacteria that feed on this sweat, which comes from the apocrine glands in the armpits and groin area.’
- ‘For example, tumors may show follicular, eccrine, sebaceous, or apocrine differentiation.’
- ‘The human body contains two types of sweat glands - apocrine and eccrine.’
Early 20th century: from apo- + Greek krinein ‘to separate’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.