One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lens or lens system that reduces spherical and chromatic aberration.
- ‘The biggest problem with early apochromats, other than their sizable cost and complexity, was light loss.’
- ‘Higher order spherical aberration in apochromats is a result of strongly curved lens surfaces.’
- ‘There are now a few apochromats on the market that are comparable in price to similar, high-end achromats.’
- ‘But labels can be misleading; just as there are better quality achromats, not all apochromats are created equal.’
- ‘A few 9-inch and 10-inch apochromats were sold to Universities and rich individuals, the design details being kept secret.’
Early 20th century: from apo- + chromatic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.