One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Temporary cessation of breathing, especially during sleep.‘thousands suffer from sleep apnea’
- ‘The doctor will also assess the type of sleepiness a person is experiencing, to work out whether sleep apnoea is a possible diagnosis.’
- ‘While his death is blamed on an inflammation of the lungs and heart, doctors say sleep apnea was also a factor.’
- ‘Mixed apnea, which is rare, is a combination of obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.’
- ‘Untreated obstructive sleep apnea syndrome can result in serious complications.’
- ‘You could have a sleep disorder, such as obstructive sleep apnea or restless legs syndrome.’
Early 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek apnoia, from apnous ‘breathless’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.