One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting an apex.
- ‘As the root grows, the apical growing region moves continuously into new soil volume containing yet-to-be-used water.’
- ‘Shoot length was measured from the insertion point on the stem to the tangent line between the apices of the most apical green leaves.’
- ‘The top-most, or apical, bud of a shoot has dominance over all the lateral buds below it.’
- ‘Perhaps this observable distinction between the two inner walls is used by the mechanism responsible for spatial orientation of apical cell division.’
- ‘Cell size was calculated by dividing the mean total apical area by the mean number of cells for each apex.’
- 1.1Phonetics (of a consonant) formed with the tip of the tongue.
- ‘Variations can be made by changing the shape of the tongue behind the apical closure.’
- ‘His contribution to the study of errors in apical consonant articulation are world famous.’
Early 19th century: from Latin apex, apic- (see apex) + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.