One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The opening at the end of the alimentary canal through which solid waste matter leaves the body.
- ‘During this procedure, a flexible instrument with its own light, called an endoscope, is passed in through the anus.’
- ‘The large intestine or large bowel consists of the colon and the section before the anus, the rectum.’
- ‘This is one of two muscles that control the opening of the anus.’
- ‘The colon is removed and the end of the small intestine is joined to the anus.’
- ‘The rectum, at the end of the colon, is where faeces collect before they are expelled through the anus as a bowel movement.’
Late Middle English: from Latin, originally ‘a ring’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.