One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Failure of the kidneys to produce urine.
- ‘Chronic renal failure with oliguria or anuria complicates fluid management during critical illnesses, particularly when cardiac disease coexists.’
- ‘Other emergency conditions are anuria and acute renal failure secondary to bilateral obstruction, or unilateral obstruction in a patient with a solitary functioning kidney.’
- ‘One patient with an acute abdomen had anuria; in another, the anuria was associated with a paraplegic state.’
- ‘The peripheral vasoconstriction also causes impairment of renal function, manifested either as oliguria or anuria.’
- ‘Patients with severe oliguria or anuria (output of less than 100 mL of urine per day) are likely to have postrenal acute renal failure.’
Mid 19th century: from an- + -uria.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.