Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tailless amphibian of the order "Anura"; a frog or toad.
- ‘From 1996 to 1998, I collected tadpoles of 13 anuran species from eastern North America.’
- ‘For example anuran tadpoles cannot disperse from their natal pond during development.’
- ‘The larva probably possessed the scraping mouth parts and the branchial filter seen in most extant anuran larvae, and likewise probably also pumped water rhythmically.’
- ‘This is unfortunate because the skeletal reorganization experienced by anurans during metamorphosis is unparalleled among vertebrates.’
- ‘We were able to compare our results with those of an earlier model of anuran breeding behavior.’
Relating to or denoting anurans.
- ‘Little information exists on rates of lymph flow through the anuran lymphatic system.’
- ‘Most of the anuran saccular volume is filled with a viscous suspension of calcium carbonate crystals.’
- ‘As in other vertebrates, the anuran auditory system is susceptible to noise masking.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.