Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of strong, light nylon fiber used chiefly in making carpets and upholstery.
- ‘One advantage of choosing a carpet made with Antron ® nylon fiber is that the fiber allows for a wider range of color choices, says Ryan.’
- ‘To introduce the site - which offers 11 in-stock materials, including generic nylons, Cordura [R] nylons, Antron [R] nylons and microfiber activewear fabrics - 3,000 invitations were sent to Tapetex customers and potential customers.’
- ‘Because carpets of Antron ® resist dirt better than other fibers, cleaning costs over the life of the carpet typically are significantly lower.’
- ‘In those cases, carpets of Antron ® are cost-effective, as they continue to look and wear well, longer than carpets of other fiber systems.’
- ‘Carpets of Antron ® are made exclusively with type 6,6 nylon.’
1960s: an invented name.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.