Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting political activities or measures designed to prevent or thwart terrorism.‘the government introduced tough new antiterror laws’
- ‘Other putative antiterror measures seem more reasonable at first glance.’
- ‘In the United States, some academics have reportedly been pressured because of their views on the antiterror war.’
- ‘In some respects the world is becoming more, not less, unstable as a result of the antiterror campaign.’
- ‘The second documentary is called "The Road to Terrorism," looking at anti terror operations in the Philippines.’
- ‘In the Senate, the only real action on the antiterror measures was a committee hearing Oct. 7.’
- ‘Despite the prime minister's words, there are no signs that the British government plans to change its aggressive antiterror tactics.’
- ‘The city has been receiving mixed signals from the Department of Homeland Security on this year's antiterror grants.’
- ‘But resistance to the antiterror law, ID system and emergency powers threatened to escalate with protesters taking to the streets against the plans.’
- ‘He has worked hard to brand himself as the antiterror candidate, which should play well in a state with a sizable military vote.’
- ‘This is exactly what government officials have done with bioterror to whip up public support for their antiterror programs.’
- ‘Three men are also under arrest after a major anti terror operation today in London.’
- ‘Judges can't be expected to set antiterror policy.’
- ‘Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld wants to use them for secret antiterror missions around the globe.’
- ‘Within months of the arrests in August 2006, Western antiterror officials had put together a detailed portrait of the plot.’
- ‘The government has also noticed how quiet the protests have been against the antiterror law, which increased the power of law enforcers to act against potential terrorists.’
- ‘Does denying prisoners the protections of international law mock the principles the antiterror coalition is fighting to protect?’
- ‘Intelligence reports indicate that a German-speaking trainer worked with some German suspects, an antiterror source said.’
- ‘The U.S. and Philippine troops concluded a six-month antiterror training exercise in the southern Philippines on July 31.’
- ‘These three measures hardly represent the only examples of migration policies whose efficacy as antiterror tools have been challenged.’
- ‘Creation of an effective worldwide antiterror coalition remains a work in progress.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.