One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Antiphonal singing, playing, or chanting.
- ‘The alleluias are strong and simple, with mainly two-part antiphony (back-and-forth) between the men and the women.’
- ‘Harris's style is strong and assertive, imbued with an American melos of hymn tunes and folksongs, and using the orchestra to create powerful effects of block antiphony.’
- ‘Though here, too, there is the braggadocio of the blues persona, Cortez employs less antiphony in her own voice, using instead a softer, more sensual tone to simulate a jazz ballad.’
- ‘Due to textual antiphony, the choice ultimately rests with the individual reader.’
- ‘My one carp with the piece is that it relies a bit too heavily on antiphony, a natural device for two choirs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.