Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Molecules formed by atoms consisting of antiprotons, antineutrons, and positrons. Stable antimatter does not appear to exist in our universe.
- ‘What is CP violation and how does it explain the fact that matter outnumbers antimatter in the universe?’
- ‘When particles of matter and particles of antimatter collide, large amounts of energy are produced as a by-product.’
- ‘This brief survey of recent Lorentz tests only lists those experiments involving light, ordinary matter, and antimatter.’
- ‘Much like matter and antimatter the two objects would be almost instantly converted to pure energy, generating a massive explosion.’
- ‘The definition of matter and antimatter is purely conventional.’
- ‘Various propulsion schemes have been proposed, from nuclear fusion to antimatter to laser sails.’
- ‘If matter and antimatter collide, they annihilate each other.’
- ‘Theory suggests that, at the moment the universe was created, equal amounts of matter and antimatter were formed.’
- ‘Why is the universe made of matter and not equal parts of matter and antimatter?’
- ‘Mirror matter is not antimatter, it is altogether weirder.’
- ‘He also predicted the existence of antimatter (specifically the antiparticle of the electron) that was later discovered in nature.’
- ‘Matter and antimatter just don't mix, so it's surprising that you can probe one with the other.’
- ‘There is both matter (such as electrons) and oppositely charged antimatter (such as positrons).’
- ‘He saw how magnetic traps could make antimatter useful in medicine, principally in tumor treatment.’
- ‘You wouldn't be able to tell by looking whether the black hole was originally formed by matter, antimatter or green cheese.’
- ‘What everyone actually needs here is a more efficient mobile power source, whether it be cold fusion, lithium air or a matter / antimatter reactor.’
- ‘In the enormous densities of the early moments of the Big Bang the result would have been a catastrophic annihilation of matter and antimatter into radiation.’
- ‘Those equations and present particle physics say that matter and antimatter are equivalent.’
- ‘Paul Dirac predicted the existence of antimatter with his relativistic wave equation in 1928.’
- ‘The answer to your question is, thus, clearly yes: matter would be created when antimatter particles collide at high energy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.