One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive (of brakes) designed so as to prevent the wheels from locking and the vehicle from skidding if applied suddenly.
- ‘Additionally, anti-lock brakes and air bags can also help lower your premiums.’
- ‘Front side airbags are available as an option and anti-lock brakes are standard on the van.’
- ‘Other safety-related technologies like anti-lock brakes fell short when consumers were asked to pay for it as an option.’
- ‘Seat-mounted side-impact airbags, bundled with anti-lock brakes, are optional on the GXE and SE models.’
- ‘If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, be sure to get training on proper use.’
- ‘They're unlike other technologies that we see coming onto markets, including technologies that save lives, such as airbags and anti-lock brakes in cars, which are now quite affordable.’
- ‘It is thirsty, hefty and devoid of interventionist driver aids beyond anti-lock brakes and a simple, easily-turned-off traction control.’
- ‘Options are side head curtain airbags and front side airbags, 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, and an AM / FM radio with in-dash 6-disc CD changer.’
- ‘With five doors, Kalos Xtra comes with its own 14-inch alloy wheels, dual front and side airbags, anti-lock brakes, remote central door locking and alarm, electric front windows and height adjustable steering column.’
- ‘In the UK, the Volkswagen Group has been hit by three separate recalls covering windscreen wipers and anti-lock brake systems.’
- ‘Thus, today, there is growing use of safer, anti-lock brakes in automobiles and other motor vehicles.’
- ‘With nine airbags as standard, anti-lock brakes and a battalion of advanced electronic stability, braking and traction controls, Lexus is hoping the RX will score a five-star Euro NCAP crash test result.’
- ‘But we can tell you that the outdoorsy type is more likely than the average American to own a car that's equipped with airbags and anti-lock brakes.’
- ‘The anti-lock brakes come on - fine, I steer away from that car on the corner that I almost smashed.’
- ‘What do the high-intensity headlights, anti-lock brake systems, global positioning screens and trunk- or hood-mounted light switches on your car have in common?’
- ‘And what is optional today could well become standard tomorrow, such as anti-lock brakes which will soon be legally required on every new car.’
- ‘Safety equipment includes driver, passenger and side curtain airbags, and ABS anti-lock brakes with electronic brake force distribution.’
- ‘Electronic controls gather information from the anti-lock brakes and other sensors to enable it to react within 50 milliseconds, much faster than competitive viscous devices.’
- ‘The vehicle was equipped with a four-wheel anti-lock brake system.’
- ‘Nutter opines that while polycarbonate technology will never be as cheap as glass, it does bring in value much as anti-lock brakes or airbags did.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.