One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive (of brakes) designed so as to prevent the wheels from locking and the vehicle from skidding if applied suddenly.
- ‘Seat-mounted side-impact airbags, bundled with anti-lock brakes, are optional on the GXE and SE models.’
- ‘In the UK, the Volkswagen Group has been hit by three separate recalls covering windscreen wipers and anti-lock brake systems.’
- ‘Other safety-related technologies like anti-lock brakes fell short when consumers were asked to pay for it as an option.’
- ‘The vehicle was equipped with a four-wheel anti-lock brake system.’
- ‘Front side airbags are available as an option and anti-lock brakes are standard on the van.’
- ‘Thus, today, there is growing use of safer, anti-lock brakes in automobiles and other motor vehicles.’
- ‘If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, be sure to get training on proper use.’
- ‘And what is optional today could well become standard tomorrow, such as anti-lock brakes which will soon be legally required on every new car.’
- ‘Options are side head curtain airbags and front side airbags, 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, and an AM / FM radio with in-dash 6-disc CD changer.’
- ‘Additionally, anti-lock brakes and air bags can also help lower your premiums.’
- ‘With five doors, Kalos Xtra comes with its own 14-inch alloy wheels, dual front and side airbags, anti-lock brakes, remote central door locking and alarm, electric front windows and height adjustable steering column.’
- ‘It is thirsty, hefty and devoid of interventionist driver aids beyond anti-lock brakes and a simple, easily-turned-off traction control.’
- ‘Safety equipment includes driver, passenger and side curtain airbags, and ABS anti-lock brakes with electronic brake force distribution.’
- ‘They're unlike other technologies that we see coming onto markets, including technologies that save lives, such as airbags and anti-lock brakes in cars, which are now quite affordable.’
- ‘But we can tell you that the outdoorsy type is more likely than the average American to own a car that's equipped with airbags and anti-lock brakes.’
- ‘With nine airbags as standard, anti-lock brakes and a battalion of advanced electronic stability, braking and traction controls, Lexus is hoping the RX will score a five-star Euro NCAP crash test result.’
- ‘Nutter opines that while polycarbonate technology will never be as cheap as glass, it does bring in value much as anti-lock brakes or airbags did.’
- ‘What do the high-intensity headlights, anti-lock brake systems, global positioning screens and trunk- or hood-mounted light switches on your car have in common?’
- ‘The anti-lock brakes come on - fine, I steer away from that car on the corner that I almost smashed.’
- ‘Electronic controls gather information from the anti-lock brakes and other sensors to enable it to react within 50 milliseconds, much faster than competitive viscous devices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.