One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance (such as tetraethyl lead) added to gasoline to inhibit preignition.
- ‘At first I thought all I needed was a big wrench but then I found out I needed other things like washers, sealing tapes, anti-knock dunnowhats, huge adjustable grippers and even something called a tap re-seater.’
- ‘The single most important human exposure to lead was lead aerosol, formed by combustion of lead anti-knock additives in petrol, he said.’
- ‘It focuses on efforts to cover up the health risks associated with lead in paints and ‘anti-knock’ gasoline and the vinyl chloride used in many plastics.’
- ‘One commonly used application is in the production of anti-knock gasoline.’
- ‘Metallocenes are useful in industrial chemistry as reducing agents, anti-knock agents for internal combustion engine fuels, absorbers of ultraviolet light, and free radical scavengers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.