One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance (such as tetraethyl lead) added to gasoline to inhibit preignition.
- ‘It focuses on efforts to cover up the health risks associated with lead in paints and ‘anti-knock’ gasoline and the vinyl chloride used in many plastics.’
- ‘The single most important human exposure to lead was lead aerosol, formed by combustion of lead anti-knock additives in petrol, he said.’
- ‘One commonly used application is in the production of anti-knock gasoline.’
- ‘Metallocenes are useful in industrial chemistry as reducing agents, anti-knock agents for internal combustion engine fuels, absorbers of ultraviolet light, and free radical scavengers.’
- ‘At first I thought all I needed was a big wrench but then I found out I needed other things like washers, sealing tapes, anti-knock dunnowhats, huge adjustable grippers and even something called a tap re-seater.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.