One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drug or other compound that inhibits the physiological effects of histamine, used especially in the treatment of allergies.
- ‘These agents may also be added to antihistamine therapy.’
- ‘Taking antihistamine tablets may also help reduce itching - ask your pharmacist for advice.’
- ‘The antihistamine effects on performance have previously been measured in an actual driving test in normal traffic.’
- ‘Allergic rhinitis is treated with antihistamine drugs or local steroid sprays.’
- ‘The antihistamine drug also gets into your bloodstream and travels through the blood to your brain.’
- ‘Hay fever or some old fashioned antihistamine treatments with side effect drowsiness can generally impede your life style.’
- ‘When avoidance isn't possible, antihistamine medications may be prescribed to block the release of histamine in the body.’
- ‘Such drugs as antihistamines and tricyclic antidepressants likely exaggerate this proarrhythmic potential.’
- ‘He or she may recommend additional treatment, such as antihistamines or antibiotics.’
- ‘Transfusion should be interrupted until symptomatic relief is achieved following antihistamine administration.’
- ‘Research has shown that cold and allergy medications such as antihistamines and decongestants are not helpful in preventing them.’
- ‘Your doctor also might prescribe a non-drowsy oral antihistamine or antihistamine eye drops.’
- ‘Further treatment is symptomatic and may include topical corticosteroids, oral antihistamines, and oral steroids.’
- ‘If this is not helpful, your doctor may prescribe stronger steroids or antihistamine pills.’
- ‘Your doctor might have you use antihistamine pills, a steroid cream, calamine lotion, or zinc oxide cream.’
- ‘Effective treatments include antihistamine medicines, in the form of tablet or liquid, inhalers, nasal spays and also eye drops.’
- ‘In addition, the placebo effect is even higher when the placebo has some antihistamine effect (similar to the influence of the antidepressant on histamine receptors).’
- ‘You can also take antihistamine tablets containing drugs such as cyclizine or cinnarizine to prevent travel or motion sickness.’
- ‘If you are vomiting a lot, the antihistamine medicine, promethazine, may help.’
- ‘Symptoms disappeared and antihistamine medication was discontinued on day 4 of the treatment diet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.