One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A liquid, typically one based on ethylene glycol, which can be added to water to lower the freezing point, chiefly used in the radiator of a motor vehicle.
- ‘Pesticide products in pressurized cylinders, oil, antifreeze, tires, paints, varnishes, thinners, cleaners and solvents will not be accepted.’
- ‘Three empty five-gallon plastic drums containing residues of oil and antifreeze were abandoned nearby.’
- ‘Such large quantities mean that airports cannot simply release antifreeze with storm water into nearby rivers and streams.’
- ‘Cars have used such a device for many years, with your radiator cooling the liquid, usually with a combination of antifreeze and water to keep the engine cool.’
- ‘Experts identified the mould as being antifreeze and de-icer from the base's runway.’
- ‘Another common practice is the addition of automotive antifreeze to toilets and sink traps.’
- ‘Automotive products such as gasoline, oil and antifreeze should be stored in areas that are inaccessible to your pets.’
- ‘Problems will also arise if too much water mixes with the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, or antifreeze.’
- ‘After changing antifreeze and motor oil, take them to your local garage for recycling.’
- ‘Are your headlights clean and plenty of water with antifreeze in your washer bottle?’
- ‘This helpful tank holds up to 5 gallons and allows you to flush water out and pump antifreeze into the system - even while trailered.’
- ‘Use the time to go get a jug of water or antifreeze.’
- ‘A mixture of four parts water and one part antifreeze with a few drops of liquid soap should be placed in each cut out milk jug.’
- ‘Ironically, the freezing point of straight antifreeze is lower than antifreeze and water.’
- ‘Half an hour later, the radiator was filled with water and antifreeze, and snow had been cleared away from the wheels.’
- ‘An ingredient in antifreeze and brake fluid, it is also a widely used moisture-carrying ingredient in cosmetics.’
- ‘Addition of water to ethylene oxide generates ethylene glycol used in antifreeze and the formation of polyester fibers.’
- ‘The key is polyethylene glycol, a liquid polymer similar to antifreeze.’
- ‘In doing the cooling, one thing that a rider must not forget is the use of motorcycle antifreeze.’
- ‘Cooling is by glycol, the same material in car antifreeze, refrigerated in another area of the brewery and circulated around containers as needed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.