One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A liquid, typically one based on ethylene glycol, that can be added to water to lower the freezing point, chiefly used in the radiator of a motor vehicle.
- ‘Problems will also arise if too much water mixes with the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, or antifreeze.’
- ‘Experts identified the mould as being antifreeze and de-icer from the base's runway.’
- ‘After changing antifreeze and motor oil, take them to your local garage for recycling.’
- ‘This helpful tank holds up to 5 gallons and allows you to flush water out and pump antifreeze into the system - even while trailered.’
- ‘The key is polyethylene glycol, a liquid polymer similar to antifreeze.’
- ‘An ingredient in antifreeze and brake fluid, it is also a widely used moisture-carrying ingredient in cosmetics.’
- ‘A mixture of four parts water and one part antifreeze with a few drops of liquid soap should be placed in each cut out milk jug.’
- ‘Are your headlights clean and plenty of water with antifreeze in your washer bottle?’
- ‘Half an hour later, the radiator was filled with water and antifreeze, and snow had been cleared away from the wheels.’
- ‘Ironically, the freezing point of straight antifreeze is lower than antifreeze and water.’
- ‘Pesticide products in pressurized cylinders, oil, antifreeze, tires, paints, varnishes, thinners, cleaners and solvents will not be accepted.’
- ‘Another common practice is the addition of automotive antifreeze to toilets and sink traps.’
- ‘Automotive products such as gasoline, oil and antifreeze should be stored in areas that are inaccessible to your pets.’
- ‘Three empty five-gallon plastic drums containing residues of oil and antifreeze were abandoned nearby.’
- ‘Addition of water to ethylene oxide generates ethylene glycol used in antifreeze and the formation of polyester fibers.’
- ‘Use the time to go get a jug of water or antifreeze.’
- ‘Such large quantities mean that airports cannot simply release antifreeze with storm water into nearby rivers and streams.’
- ‘In doing the cooling, one thing that a rider must not forget is the use of motorcycle antifreeze.’
- ‘Cooling is by glycol, the same material in car antifreeze, refrigerated in another area of the brewery and circulated around containers as needed.’
- ‘Cars have used such a device for many years, with your radiator cooling the liquid, usually with a combination of antifreeze and water to keep the engine cool.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.