Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an impulse) traveling in the opposite direction to that normal in a nerve fiber.The opposite of orthodromic
- ‘Broad complex tachycardias may also occur in the Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, either as an antidromic atrioventricular re-entrant tachycardia or in association with atrial flutter or fibrillation.’
- ‘Vascular response to antidromic ES of the sciatic nerve.’
- ‘Electrophysiologic recordings demonstrated that activation of sensory nerve fibers, either by antidromic stimulation or capsaicin, depolarized these neurons.’
- ‘These include, most importantly, showing the we can detect fluorescence responses in cells to single antidromic stimuli, along with evidence that a cell can in fact produce a detectable response under some behavioral conditions.’
- ‘This reduction reflected the shunting and reduced amplitude of the antidromic action potential by the inhibition.’
Early 20th century: from anti- + Greek dromos running + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.