One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an impulse) traveling in the opposite direction to that normal in a nerve fiber.The opposite of orthodromic
- ‘This reduction reflected the shunting and reduced amplitude of the antidromic action potential by the inhibition.’
- ‘Electrophysiologic recordings demonstrated that activation of sensory nerve fibers, either by antidromic stimulation or capsaicin, depolarized these neurons.’
- ‘These include, most importantly, showing the we can detect fluorescence responses in cells to single antidromic stimuli, along with evidence that a cell can in fact produce a detectable response under some behavioral conditions.’
- ‘Vascular response to antidromic ES of the sciatic nerve.’
- ‘Broad complex tachycardias may also occur in the Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, either as an antidromic atrioventricular re-entrant tachycardia or in association with atrial flutter or fibrillation.’
Early 20th century: from anti- + Greek dromos ‘running’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.