One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A weather system with high atmospheric pressure at its center, around which air slowly circulates in a clockwise (northern hemisphere) or counterclockwise (southern hemisphere) direction. Anticyclones are associated with calm, fine weather.
- ‘Weakening and reduction in the regular size of the Polar anticyclone and its east-wind outflow should cause the temperate low pressure belt to find a zone of activity closer to the polar zones than at present.’
- ‘The South African Weather Service told The Star on Monday that the heat is due to an anticyclone or high pressure system in the upper air.’
- ‘A similar weather system occurred at the start of the anticyclone last week and as well as acting as a cooling agent it was a joy to watch.’
- ‘The low pressure area departed during Thursday as a new anticyclone reached and passed the Cape.’
- ‘The resident anticyclone continues in its fixed abode.’
- ‘Stratocumulus is usually a sign of old fronts and is also associated with static anticyclones.’
- ‘In our hemisphere, areas of high barometric pressure, anticyclones, create winds which circulate anticlockwise.’
- ‘Winter anticyclones usually build westwards from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.’
- ‘During this period favoured locations for centres of anticyclones are the Great Victoria Desert and central New South Wales.’
- ‘In polar and sub-tropical regions there are large semi permanent anticyclones (high-pressure areas).’
- ‘The anticyclones are spinning in different directions, such that they keep a delicate balance with one another.’
- ‘Such wind systems indicate the regular passage of the anticyclones well to the south of the sub-continent.’
- ‘This anticyclone will dominate the weather scene for the following few days.’
- ‘He created the term anticyclone and pointed out its importance in weather forecasting.’
- ‘All sorts of weather systems can have an impact, dependent on the location, such as mid-latitude cyclones, subtropical anticyclones, monsoon systems, and tropical cyclones.’
- ‘The advancing anticyclone is centred between 35 and 40 degrees South.’
- ‘In summer, the weather associated with anticyclones is usually fine and cloud-free.’
- ‘Institute scientist Jim Salinger said the fine, settled winter weather was caused by more anticyclones than usual across northern New Zealand.’
- ‘The strong anticyclone drifts slowly across the sub-continent during the weekend.’
- ‘These anticyclones diverted rain-bearing frontal systems away from the country for much of the time and as a result it was a dry but cloudy month everywhere.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.